Le creuset is well known for it long lasting and quality cookware products and this dutch oven is no exception. This 5-1/2-quart French oven by Le Creuset is the most cook friendly and forgiving pan we have ever used. For example, If you are sauteing onions and if you go and answer the door for a while, there is no need to worry, onions on Le Creuset pot won’t burn.Enameled cast iron has been recognized as one of the best materials available for cookware because it retains heat and promotes gentle, even cooking at low heat ensuring that the best flavor. This enamel coated dutch oven has cast iron benefits without worrying about seasoning and maintaining the bare cast iron product, as no seasoning or maintenance required.
This 5.5 quart version
is sized to fit typical casserole, soup, and stew recipes, and big enough for a large chicken or pot roast. It will fit on an average-height refrigerator shelf, and will heat evenly on a standard sized burner. It’s perfect for use on any heat source–gas, electric, radiant, ceramic, halogen, induction, or solid fuel. There’s also a tight-fitting, enameled cast-iron lid that helps seal in heat and flavor. Food will be kept hot as you bring it to the table for serving. And you will certainly want to serve out of this beautiful piece–the deep color and shiny finish will brighten any table setting.
Don’t expect this piece to spend much time in storage, as you will soon discover it’s amazingly versatile; equally efficient as a sauce pot and a baker. Perfect for simmering stews and soups, baking casseroles and roasting vegetables or chicken. As with all Le Creuset cookware you can bring this French oven directly to the table with confidence, knowing its beautiful appearance is as integral a part of its appeal as its cooking qualities. Le Creuset dutch ovens comes in many bright and cheerful colors, some of them shown below; You can pick these and other available colors when making a purchase just choose which size and color you want in online merchant site.
What is included?
This is 2 piece dutch oven. 4 inches deep , with 10.8 inches wide. It weighs about 11 pounds. It has life time warranty. This set comes in various colors, such as White, Cherry red, Flame orange, Kiwi green, Cobalt, dune, Caribbean blue, Dijon, Cassis and Black onyx.
- Round flat bottom pot
- Tight fitting lid
What we like:
- Life time warranty (not limited, you can exchange, replace any time according to Le Creuset site)
- Quick heating and great for retaining heat
- Sturdy loop handles
- Great glossy looks, looks good on serving table
- Many colors to choose from
- Tight fitting lids, that keeps steam, flavor in heat during cooking
- Dishwasher safe
- Oven safe (up to 400 F degree)
- Phenolic knobs on lid are oven safe (up to 375 F degree)
- Non reactive to acidic food, meaning food will not discolor or change taste if left in a pot
- You can bake, broil, braise, saute, marinate, refrigerate, and freeze
- No seasoning or maintenance required
- Large enough to cook a chicken, chili or soup
- You can take direct from oven to table as a serving ware
- If you want to hand wash it, it is easy too
- Enamel coating makes inside food slide off easily
- Very forgiving pot, food will not burn or stick easily
- Can last lifetime, if used properly
Things to consider:
- Do not use on high heat or deep frying
- High heat will cause enamel to peel away
- Tend of bit expensive
- You can replace phenolic knob with stainless steel (if you want to use oven higher than 375F)
How much does it sell for and where to get the best price?
The price ranges from $230 to $340 on this le creuset dutch oven for 5.5 quart size. Somehow prices seems to fluctuate with different colors and same size of pot (I am not sure why?), so if you do not care for particular color, look for one with better price to buy it. We have found the best prices on amazon for it.
Le Creuset 5.5-qt. Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Cobalt